In order to upload a DVD to FineCut, you will first need to encode the DVD into an .MP4 file. The best method to do so is to use the free program called Handbrake.
- First, download and install Handbrake from here: https://handbrake.fr/
- Once installed, insert a DVD into the disk drive of your computer and open up Handbrake. Once open, select your DVD from the Devices section on the left, select the folder labeled VIDEO_TS and then press the Open button.
Your DVD will now be loaded into Handbrake. If this is your first time encoding a DVD for FineCut, you will need to load the FineCut preset into Handbrake by following the steps below.
- Download the preset here: FineCut Handbrake Preset
- To load the preset, select Presets from the menu bar, select Import and then choose the newly downloaded preset file "FineCut Handbrake Preset.plist"
- Press Toggle Presets in the upper right
- The Presets Drawer will extend to the right. Select the (import) Finecut preset, then press the gear icon at the bottom and select Make Default. Going forward, all of your encodes will now default to the FineCut preset and you will not have to choose the preset each time you use Handbrake.
If it is preferable to enter the specs manually, you may do so using the specs below:
Format: MP4 File
Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
Framerate: Same as Source - Variable
Quality: Average Bitrate (kbps): 2368
Now that all of the proper settings have been loaded, Handbrake should now look similar to this:
To begin encoding, press the green Start button.
The encoding time will vary depending on the length of your DVD and Handbrake will alert you as soon as your .MP4 is ready. Once ready, you may then upload to Finecut.